Frist-day jitters for freshmen attending school in-person

Students return to campus for hybrid learning.

Freshman Sienna Rembulat completes a Spanish assignment during tutorial on her first day of school on campus.

Megan Morrison, Staff writer

In a far-from-normal school year, hundreds of freshmen and priority students returned to campus this week for phase 3 of the district’s reopening. It was also a time for adjustment, from students finding their team-taught classrooms to keeping appropriately distanced during lunch.

Several health and safety protocols were in place. Students had to fill out a health screening before entering, and teachers and staff were notified of each symptomatic submission via ParentSquare. Desks were 6 feet apart, with masks and social distancing enforced on campus. Additionally, classrooms were equipped with newer air filtration systems.

Additionally, most students will be in-person for two days, either on Monday-Tuesday or Thursday-Friday.

Despite the limitations, it was a welcome change for students, most who have been distancing learning since last spring. Freshman Mikaylee Fore said she is looking forward to experiencing more of the campus.

“I am really grateful to be able to take classes on campus and meet my classmates and teachers face to face,” she said.

Before spring break, ASB hosted an orientation for freshman who signed up for in-person learning, which helped students get used to the school’s layout.

“The tours (helped me figure) out where I want to be on campus to eat or hang out when we’re not in class,” said freshman Steven Ross.

With phase four starting April 26 for sophomores to seniors, administrators have created a wait list for those who did not submit their in-person requests last month.