The plan for spring

How school might look for the next semester

Kieran Mackey, Staff writer

As the second semester approaches, the Campbell Union High School district staff attempt to make a plan for the next portion of the school year. There are two main options being considered, one of which is a continuation of distance learning, and another with a hybrid model where students return to school in small numbers with the incorporation of distance learning.

“We’re taking everybody into account,” said Principal Cheryl Lawton.

Many surveys were conducted by the planning team at Branham asking students, parents, and staff about their opinions on going back to school. The survey results were published on the CUHSD website. Among staff and teachers, only 29% answered that they were very comfortable or somewhat comfortable with going back to campus. 61% answered that they were hesitant or uncomfortable or very uncomfortable with going back to class, with the rest answering that they didn’t know what they wanted or other.

Going back to in person class would also require reorganization of classes. In a Facebook Live Q&A about the possibility of schools reopening, CUHSD superintendent Robert Bravo explained that there were two possibilities for hybrid models. One would be a reorganization model, where each class is either completely distanced or in person.

“In effect, we create a completely different school for them,” said Bravo in the Facebook Live Q&A referring to distance learners.

The other option would be a concurrent model, where a single teacher has students in person and at home simultaneously. In both of these models, only a small portion of students would go to in person classes, with the department of health requiring at least an A and B day schedule.  During the Facebook Live Q&A, Robert Bravo explained that if a hybrid model is chosen, safety will be a top priority. Systems would be put in place for case responses, and air filters that meet county standards would be installed.  Both of these scenarios could also force students to change teachers and even classes when it comes to electives. Even with the challenges faced, some teachers think the benefits of in person school are even more important.

“I miss those quick check-ins with students,” said freshman biology teacher Victoria Raineri. “I miss those five second conversations where I could quickly figure out what everyone needs.”

A decision by the superintendent’s office will be announced on December 1st, 2020, where it will have to be ratified by the board of trustees.