Jet lag worth trouble for traveling Bruins

Carly Waldorph, Staff Writer

Many people like to travel during the holidays, including students and staff at Branham. When traveling across multiple time zones, people can experience jet lag, which is an interruption in the human body’s sleep cycle. It causes a conflict between the mind and body, which results in physical symptoms like insomnia and drowsiness.

When talking with sophomore, Sara Naji who often travels to locations in the Middle East, she said, “Typically I do get pretty bad jet lag, it takes me at the most a week to stabilize in the time zone. The first week I can’t function, cause I’m really tired during the day.”

When in a different time zone, the body is still used to its original sleep cycle, which results in the person feeling the need to sleep during the day or stay awake throughout the night.

Math teacher Neeraja Nambula enjoys traveling to India to visit her family.

“The daytime is nighttime there, and we have a 13-hour difference, which kind of hits us hard,” she said.

English teacher Chelsea Follett enjoys traveling as well.“My sister lives in Barcelona, Spain, so I go to Spain. I also travel a lot in Europe, Australia, South America, and kind of all over the place,” Follett said.

When experiencing jet lag, she suggests trying to adjust to the new time zone, rather than staying on your original sleep patterns.

“When you’ve flown to a new place, no matter how tired you are don’t take a nap, stay awake, and try to get onto the cycle of that time zone,” Follett said.

Despite the inconveniences that come from experiencing jet lag, traveling is still an extremely exciting and fun thing to do. “My favorite thing is being able to explore different parts of the world and see completely different cultures and lifestyles. “I get amazing opportunities that have had a big impact on my life,” Naji said