Poll: Most Students Back Impeachment inquiry

Back to Article
Back to Article

The division and apprehension sweeping the nation over the impeachment inquiry by the U.S. House of Representatives into President Donald J. Trump has reached the Branham campus and its student body, according to a Bear Witness survey of more than 600 students.
More than 56% of students surveyed approve or strongly approve of the current impeachment inquiry, compared to 10% who don’t. However the survey showed that more than 33% aren’t sure what to make of it, reflecting the student
body’s widespread confusion from the myriad details coming from the investigation.                                                                    The answer is stark along party lines. Nearly 82% of students who said they lean Democratic approve or strongly approve of the inquiry. That number drops to about 17% with students who lean Republican, mirroring the strong partisan differences of opinion in voters nationwide.                                                                                                                              The divide reveals how differently students view and interpret the news. Senior Kyla Masamori, who leans Demo- cratic, believes Trump must be held accountable for his attempt to sway the 2020 election.
“I don’t really know how you can get over illegal action,” she said of Trump’s alleged actions to enlist a foreign country to investigate former vice president Joe Biden’s son.                                                                                                                              Senior Ben Austin, who leans Republican, believes that the House is investigating the wrong person and that the Biden family should be investigated. Austin is referring to an incident, when as vice president, Biden publicly proclaimed on video that he was withholding U.S. aid to Ukraine until the prosecutor investigating his son’s company was fired.
“I think that it’s kind of hypocritical that they’re investigating Trump over doing something that Joe Biden literally did while he was in office.”                                                                                                                                                                                   The White House stands accused of withholding military aid to Ukraine in exchange for an investigation into Hunter Biden, the son of former Vice President Joe Biden, a potential rival of Trump’s in the 2020 presidential election. The president maintains he has done nothing wrong.
Students who don’t follow the news were more likely to not have an opinion on the impeachment inquiry. In the survey, 68.75% of students who never watch the news selected no answer when asked about their opinion on impeachment, while 47.12% of students who watch the news frequently strongly approve of impeachment investigations.
The divide is stark when asked if Trump has done things that are impeachable, 91.18% of students who identified as Democrats answered with either “probably” or “definitely,” while no students who call themselves Republicans think Trump has definitely committed impeachable offenses.                                                                                                                          When asked about their opinion about the way Trump has been handling presidency, 69.44% of Republicans either strongly approve or approve of Trump. Only 2.44% of Democrats strongly approve of our president.                                        Nationally, according to a CBS News poll conducted between Nov. 9-11, more Americans feel the Democrats have done a bad job handling the inquiry, 52%, than a good job, 48%. And more feel President Trump has done a bad job handling it, 56%, than feel he has handled it well at 43%.
Moreover, those who have made up their minds about the inquiry are less likely to change them, even after the inquiry is over.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Like the students’, national opinions are split along party lines, and the impeachment inquiry seems only to bolster that divide.