You’re sleep-deprived. Here’s what to do about it

Tae Yun (Erica Kang) and Shantala Muruganujan, Staff Writers

Students and adults claim to not be getting enough sleep. The average teen needs 9.5 hours per day, and adults need
about 7 hours. A Stanford Medicine study shows that 87% of American students attending high school are sleep-deprived.

A bill awaits Gov. Gavin Newsom’s signature that mandates start times for middle and high schools, mandating that high schools start at 8:30 a.m. Start times do not include zero periods, as the classes are not mandatory. Barring a later start, we share tips from our nurses and counselors on getting a good night’s rest.

Sleep consistently: Go to sleep at the same time every night, and wake up at the same time every morning. Also,
avoid naps during the day because they make you stay awake at night.

Don’t procrastinate: Procrastinating keeps students up late doing work. Organize your work and get rid of distractions. Commit to the work you’re completing.

Keep a schedule: Good time management is important so you can finish more work faster, and have free time afterward. Make a schedule and prioritize your tasks.

A good read: Reading a book before going to bed can help you sleep better. Read a couple of pages, and then go
straight to bed. This will relax your mind and distract yourself from stress. No tech before sleep: Stay away from
tech an hour before sleeping. Using your phone, tablet, or computer delays and interrupts your sleep schedule.

Students, staff, and teachers have a huge workload on top of their activities. Social worker Kevin Nguyen said that
students come to him frequently about having stress because of the lack of sleep
they’re getting.
“It manifests itself in different ways like lack of sleep, like insomnia,” Nguyen said. “Take a moment to slow down and
take a breath. Slow it down, and take care of yourself.”