Advisory needs a fix, not a purge

Uzor Awuzie, Student Life Editor

Teachers and administrators are trying to figure out what to do with advisory. The 30 minutes of class time after first period has become famous for how much it is hated.  But is advisory really as bad as students make it seem?

For years, student have talked about the removal of advisory. It’s meant to advise them on things they may face outside of class like jobs, college applications, and future careers. But it’s only met with responses like “useless” or “could be spent doing other things”.  If students were learning what they’re supposed to be learning, they could understand why schools create things like advisory.

In a recent survey of 569 students put out by Bell Schedule Committee, which is in charge of reconfiguring the current schedule, 64.9 percent of students voted to remove advisory from the schedule, and 50.9 percent voted that advisory was “very ineffective.”

In a panel ran by CUHSD representatives, senior Clarabelle Walkup and superintendent Robert Bravo, several students were asked about how advisory has helped them throughout the school year.

On the topic of the “What’s Your Why?” campaign’s role in advisory, several students felt that it was useless. It was only brought up a few times in their advisory. But others disagreed. In their advisory, they were asked to reflect on their “why” every advisory and saw more meaning in the saying.

Student views on advisory aren’t consistent because not every student has the same experience. Some teachers create a schedule for every advisory, while some let their students do whatever they’d like. Every teacher has their own way of handling it, and the effort they put in it can reflect their students’ outlook.

Opinions on advisory vary among teachers as well, with 45.8 percent of teachers in the same Bell Schedule survey voting to keep tutorial the same, and 46.6 percent of teachers saying that advisory was “somewhat effective.”

If students aren’t learning what they’re supposed to be learning in advisory, then they’re most likely on their phones or treating it like another tutorial. That time should be used to give students information they need to know. The time could be used to meet other teachers or complete other tasks, but is treated as free time to do whatever students want.

Those 30 minutes are meant to help student build relationship with staff, and become more successful academically, but when it’s not used properly, it’s no wonder students want to get rid of it.

So, the solution to advisory? Don’t get rid of it, make it more consistent between all classes. All students deserve to have advisory as a resource for school information, college advice, and resume writing.