Times may be a-changing

Teachers to vote on possible schedule fix

Chandler Roberts, Staff Writer

A committee of teachers has been working on a new bell schedule to potentially be implemented by 2019.

The goal is to address the growing list of concerns with the current one: students enrolled in career technical education, called SVCTE, who miss 25 minutes during their second period of the day, long classes and not enough tutorial time.

At the end of the last school year, the Bell Schedule Committee reviewed the A/B schedule and proposed several changes, including those that modified tutorials and shortened classes.

More than 67 percent of teachers approved the modified block, which would allow for more elective class offerings. However, the new schedule fell far short of the contractually required minutes, and the plan was scrapped.

The Bell Schedule Planning Committee, led by math teacher Steven Turner and science teacher Kevin Kalman, put together new schedules for the teachers to consider in comparison As of now, the committee is deciding between two options for a modified schedule.

One option is to use a modified version of the schedule that is being used now. The only major change would be the length of tutorial. Tutorial would be 45 minutes instead of 30, but according to Turner, the times are not fully confirmed.

In the other option, there are two A-days and two B-days per week with one day where students go to every class.

It is still uncertain where advisory would be placed in the schedule. According to Turner, early results of the survey indicated that majority of the teachers supported cutting advisory down to once or twice a month.

Zero period is still an option for either schedule, but it does not count towards the required instructional minutes.

The committee will meet again Nov. 5 to finalize the schedule and put to teachers at a later date for a vote, and also to plan how to get students involved.