All choices valid when choosing career paths

Editorial

SVCTE+and+other+post+high+school+programs+help+students+figure+out+their+career+paths+
Back to Article
Back to Article

SVCTE and other post high school programs help students figure out their career paths

Catherine Monroy/Bear Witness

Catherine Monroy/Bear Witness

Catherine Monroy/Bear Witness

Students face a tough choice at the end of senior year. They are forced to decide what path they will chose for their career. For most, the only option considered is a four-year degree. However, there are other options that should be weighed with the same amount of worth.  

There is an expectation in American society that the only acceptable career path after high school is to get a bachelor’s degree at a four-year college or university. Trade schools and two-year degrees are left out of this expectation. Going to trade school should be just as acceptable as going to a university. Trade jobs such as plumbers, mechanics, and hairstylists are just as valid as jobs requiring four-year degrees. These jobs are just as valued in society as those one can get with a bachelor’s degree, and you are able to avoid hefty student loans and still have a stable, well-paying career. Another common view is that community college is not a valid form of education. This is also not true. Going to a two-year or community college is just as respectable a choice as a four year. You are still in school and should be validated for continuing your education.  The option often viewed with the most stigma is not going to school at all and going straight into the work. This option allows for students to go straight into their desired career path instead of spending time in school. This also allows them to keep their options open. They can save up for college if they wish or travel with the money they earned. Choosing not to enroll in any school and going straight into work or the military is also a perfectly acceptable option. All of these choices should be viewed as normal and acceptable as going to a university.

Regarding all other options other than attending a four-year as atypical can force students down paths . It can make them feel like their choices is not valid. Branham should serve as an environment for students to explore whichever paths intrigue them. All career and education choices are valid and should be treated as such. Students should not feel pressured into a certain path just because it is what society deems as appropriate. They should make their decision based exclusively off their ambitions and interests.