A fresh breath of air

Junior teaches CPR to adults and teens, surprising her peers and spreading life-saving techniques student by student.

Omar Ababneh, Staff Writer

It’s 8 a.m. and junior Jocelyn Franklin walks into her garage, embraced by a group of adults and teenagers, ready to teach her CPR class. “Hello, welcome. I’m Jocelyn and this is basic life support CPR. Today I’ll be teaching you the skills to perform high quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation.”

She begins teaching her course, starting with scene safety and compressions. Then, she moves onto operating an AED, performing CPR on infants, and shocking. The course normally takes three to four hours, and ends with a written test, as well as a demonstration on a mannequin to prove what has been learned. Some adults look at her surprisingly, appalled by her age.

“I’m probably the youngest instructor they met,” Franklin said. “Many people question my knowledge. It’s not common for a highschooler to teach [CPR] at my age.”  

Franklin is a certified CPR instructor who teaches her own classes, having already taught 10 classes since September. Her audiences range from five year olds to mid-age adults. She has taught CPR at churches, the YMCA, her house, and any organization that asks for a class. She has even taught and helped multiple Branham students become CPR certified.

One of those students, junior Sasha Mariniuk, had only positive things to say about the course.

“I loved the whole program. It was a lot of hands on work which is probably the best way to learn what to do. She [Franklin] was very professional,” Mariniuk said.

Jocelyn had always had medical interests, and her interest for teaching CPR first started when her father took her to a Bay Area EMS training event. She had helped him teach, and that inspired her to begin teaching her own classes.

“I realized it is [CPR] important because anyone can come across a scene where they might need to perform CPR. It is a life saving skill.”

To become a certified instructor, Jocelyn had to take a 16 hour class through the American Heart Association, a nonprofit organization focused on efforts to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke. It took a lot of work and was difficult, but to her, it was fun and worth it. “I was really nervous to teach on my own. But after a while, I learned a ton about working with people and strategies to how I teach. I found it fun.¨