U.S., Israel against world on Jerusalem

Omar Ababneh, Staff Writer

President Donald Trump recently signed an order recognizing the disputed city of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, and ordering United States Embassy to begin moving from Tel Aviv, the current capital, into Jerusalem.

President Trump’s announcement was seen as siding with the Israelis, and the declaration broke with international consensus, rattled allies across the Middle East, inspired riots and ended decades of U.S. policy in pursuit of a peace agreement between Israeli and Palestinian leaders. Both Israelis and Palestinians see the city as their capitals, and Palestinians have pushed for years to make the city the center of a Palestinian state.

The decision has not been accepted by anybody but the United States and Israel, with world leaders from Britain, France, Sweden, Turkey, and the Arab League all strongly disagreeing with  the decision, calling it bias and in violation of UN resolutions.

Jerusalem rightfully belongs to Palestine, and so does the rest of the land. More realistically Jerusalem should be the capital of the two states, Israel and Palestine together, which has been in talks for a long time, with no progress.

After World War II was over, the Jewish community was convinced they needed their own country, and they saw Palestine as their right to have. Between 1896 and 1948, without Palestinian consent, hundreds of thousands of Jews migrated from Europe to what was then a British-controlled Palestine.

In 1947 the United Nations voted to split the land into two countries, Israel and Palestine, again without Palestinian consent. The Jewish residents accepted the deal but the Palestinians did not, seeing it as a Jewish attempt to push the Palestinians out of their land. And that is exactly what they did.

Arab states of Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, and Syria declared war on Israel, but Israeli forces defeated the Palestinian militias and Arab armies in a vicious conflict that turned 700,000 Palestinian civilians into refugees. The U.N. partition promised 56 percent of British Palestine for the Jewish state, but by the end of the war, Israel possessed 77 percent. It left Israelis with a state, but not Palestinians.

Many people do not know this, or choose to brush off the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The World ignored what has happened and what is happening to the Palestinian people. And Israel to this day has not stopped, still building Illegal settlements into Palestinian territory, and slowly decreasing the size of Palestine.

Many United Nations Resolutions have been put in place for this conflict. But one of the most important in this case is Resolution 446 adopted in 1979. It concerned the issue of Israeli settlements in the “Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967, including Jerusalem.” In the Resolution, the Security Council determined: “that the policy and practices of Israel in establishing settlements in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967 have no legal validity and constitute a serious obstruction to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East.”

Palestine has the rights of Jerusalem, but Israelis and many other countries have chosen to ignore the fact, and it seems too late. The best solution is the United States stays out of peace talks between Palestine and Israel, and have them deal about it together, or at least with a better mediator. It is time for a two-state solution to end the suffering of both sides.