GSA posters honor LGBT icons

For club, October is a chance to spread message of equality

Annalise Freimarck, News Editor

October is Gay History Month: a month of pride, love, spreading awareness and reflecting on the progress the LGBTQ+ community has made in recent years.

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance club (GSA) has spent the month hanging up posters on campus with lines from famous and revolutionary people within the community.

This kind of activity, especially within schools, wasn’t always accepted so openly. The GSA community has had to fight for equality as a reaction to persecution by society.

Senior Cecilia Rodriguez, a GSA member, described an event she saw unfold on the Branham campus.

“One time I was walking into school and these boys were walking in front of me,” she said. “I had no clue what they were talking about, but I heard one of them say ‘Dude that’s so f***ing gay.’”

Phrases like these are common around Branham and often are taken as a joke, when to others they are much more serious. Other students face this type of negativity toward their identity on a more personal note, at home.

“I have experienced discrimination due to my pansexuality and for dating a transgender girl from my grandparents,” Junior Alicia Dragomir. “As a member of the community, I felt like I had to defend myself… (on behalf of)] other pansexual and transgender individuals since I wanted to educate.”

These circumstances make reflecting back on the past and the struggle for equality that much more important for the students who are a part of the community and the posters and effort from GSA have made an impact.

“I thought it was nice that the school was recognizing the percentage of LGBTQ+ individuals at the school,” Dragomir said. “I felt more recognized and seen.”

In addition to helping students feel more accepted and proud for who they are, GSA’s other purpose is spreading awareness.

Many celebrities that students and faculty at Branham idolize are a part of the community and members of GSA felt this was important to depict to students who might be in the dark about their favorite celebrity’s identity.

“Gay history month to me and this club means making everyone aware that there are people around us who are gay or lesbian and celebrities that everyone knows and loves,” said Rodriguez. “It’s also to give praise to those… who have decided to come out.”

GSA president, Hannah Hittleman, a senior also said that raising awareness is important to display.

“People in the LGBTQ+ community are active and successful members of society,” she said. “They deserve equal treatment and the same rights under the law.”