Feel the buzz

Sleepless nights, discomfort may follow those needing caffeine fix

Uzor Awuzie, Staff Writer

To most teenagers, having a cup of coffee every day is not a new concept, but many people don’t realize that what they consider a troublesome habit comes with side effects that may hit them hard in the long run.

To some, caffeinated beverages are used every so often as an energy boost, but some swear by it regularly. Studies have indicated that 83.2 percent of teenagers consume caffeinated beverages regularly, and at least 96 percent consume them occasionally.

Junior Penelope Clizbe describes herself as a typical coffee lover.

“My mom introduced me to it, and I just loved the taste of it,” Clizbe said. “So I just started drinking more, and I kind of relied on it for energy and to make me happy.”

Clizbe is not alone. It’s very hard for high school students to not fall into this trap of addiction, taking into consideration the demanding schedules that come in behalf of balancing academics, extracurriculars, and commonplace hobbies.

Though teenagers depend on these caffeinated drinks to help them subside the dreadful feeling of exhaustion in the morning, that same energy booster can come back to sabotage your daily plans.

Every person is affected differently, but high schoolers who consume an unnecessarily large amount of caffeine strengthen their chances of dehydration, upset stomach, and jitteriness. It can even impair teen’s sleep schedules.

But if these drinks potentially have so many negative effects, why do nearly all teens use it? There may not be a direct answer, but marketing strategies play a big role in the part. The often bright, captivating packaging and catchy commercials that these drinks come with are a key method in company’s effort to target teens for their product.

Second, caffeine drinks are just about everywhere you go, ensuring viewers that they have what it takes to satisfy your needs, which is why teens find themselves trusting beverages for stability, rather than natural cures.

A study from the University of Nebraska Medical Center shows that caffeine can already become a regular part of a person’s diet as young as five to 12 years old, usually in the form of soda or energy drinks. Although no record proves that caffeine itself can cause harm, high consumption of the sugar that comes from these caffeinated drinks that youngsters love put them at risk of obesity and temporary anxiety.

“I guess I would consider myself addicted” Junior Dominque Deroin said. “I started drinking in the seventh grade. I get tired easily, so I started using energy drinks to stay awake in classes. But then I started relying on them more and more.”

Let it be known that caffeine is the most common mood-altering drug in the world, being consumed by all kinds of people in varied ways. It’s unsettling to associate such a common household item with the term “drugs,” but this stimulant has the power to influence normal behavior in ways that most people wouldn’t expect.

Maintaining a consistent diet of three eight ounce cups of coffee per day should do you no harm, but more than 10 eight ounce cups of coffee per day is excessively harmful in how it affects your health mentally and physically.