Students share ways to relax

Sydney Uyeda, Online Editor

Relaxation: something Branham students have difficulty finding time  for as soon as the school year begins. With all of the stress of school, students attempt to find some down time where they can relax on the couch and watch their favorite Netflix show, or go out and enjoy some time with friends.

Relaxation methods at Branham range across a wide board of rest and recreation:

Freshman Olivia Clinton says, “[I like to] listen to music or watch Netflix. Sometimes I take an actual nap.”

Senior Ethan Ponce prefers to “read a good book or watch some good TV.”

Senior Dara Rivas likes to “eat a snack and watch some Netflix.”

One must wonder, however, if students’ relaxation methods are working.  Are these actually relaxing them? Or are they merely distractions from the daily stress of school?

All of these methods seem to be the same: they involve being alone and being immersed into another activity, mentally pushing away the stresses of school.

According to the health website Lovetoknow.com, professional relaxation methods include deep breathing, exercise, stretching and meditating – very different from what Branham students do to relax.

Deep breathing is an effective way of slowing down the body’s natural response to stress. It slows down the heart rate, lowers blood pressure and provides a feeling of being in control,” says Lovetoknow writer Kelly Roper.

Senior Sama Jasim takes a deeper approach to relaxation.  She says, “I like talking to my mom if [I know I’m stressed] because sometimes [I] just want to talk it out in that kind of way.”

Do students’ methods actually work and make them feel relaxed? Dara says “Yes. One hundred percent. It makes me feel calm”.

Ethan Ponce says that he uses his methods to “calm [his] nerves”.

According to The Mayo Clinic, which is another health website, says that it does not matter what kind of method one uses to relax. “Once you know what the stress response feels like, you can make a conscious effort to practice a relaxation technique the moment you start to feel stress symptoms.  This can prevent stress from spiraling out of control.”

No matter what type of relaxation, the best method is based on personal preference.  It’s all in the mindset of the individual.