Need hours? These clubs can help

Service clubs range from scholastic to humanitarian assistance

Senior+Isabelle+Trinh+holds+up+a+Super+Troopers+12W++sign+to+represent+Key+Club+at+Club+Rush+in+early+September.+
Senior Isabelle Trinh holds up a Super Troopers 12W  sign to represent Key Club at Club Rush in early September.

Senior Isabelle Trinh holds up a Super Troopers 12W sign to represent Key Club at Club Rush in early September.

Catherine Monroy, Staff Writer

Some Branham clubs go beyond meetings during lunch and go towards building a better community for students.  While most students join clubs to have a good time or focus on their most passionate areas, only a handful of these clubs go to the length of volunteering outside of school hours and club meetings during lunch.

One club, Bruin to Bruin, connects student tutors to students who need help with homework and studying. Tutors may be assigned to a student when they join, though there are currently more tutors than needed. To become a tutor, contact English teacher Heather Amanatullah in room 28 or come to  their meetings during lunch on Thursdays.

“Most of our tutoring is done outside of school hours,” said Joey Perez, president of Bruin to Bruin Tutoring Club.  “So our club members do the tutoring on their own time.”

During first and second semester finals, Bruin to Bruin will hold events where they will be doing study sessions in the library.  There will also be snacks and tutors who will be walking around and helping each student get ready for their finals.  Perez says that they also plan on starting community service outside of Branham by the end of this month, such as visiting middle schools.

Another club is Interact, a club oriented with a larger network of schools in support of community service and contributions.

“Every year, we have an international and community project that revolves around a current issue” said senior Julie Pham, president of Branham’s Interact Club.  “Last year, the international project aided Syrian refugees by raising over $100,000 and the community project served to end the stigma around people with special needs which we do through community service.”

Planning for such events take months as they take into consideration venues, food, performances and decorations.

“But we aren’t doing it alone,” she said. “We work with around nine other schools to plan larger events.”

Students can contact Interact by using Remind and the Interact website, where students can see upcoming events, community service, charity dinners and benefit shows. They can also sign up and buy merchandise to help the Interact Club reach goals for international projects.

National Honor Society (NHS) is another club that requires an application with a strong resume, including a presence in the community.

“It’s a community service organization where we try to impact individuals in our community, bring our community together, and raise awareness about societal problems” said Aruni Areti, Branham’s NHS president.

Although NHS is not accepting any more applications, they encourage students to apply next year for the opportunities of work and service hours with the club.

“We have organizations contact us for volunteers,” says Aruni, “We don’t plan many events, [but] I know we are planning to do more events this year.”

NHS keeps members accountable for 22 hours of service each semester, so joining other clubs that offer service hours is recommended.