How can Branham help you beyond school?

Opinion Board

Branham offers many chances on how to find your career and college, such as SVCTE (also known as CCOC) and having representatives from different colleges come top talk during tutorial, lunch or after school in room 45, but of course, not all students follow the same path and goals.

Compiled by Catherine Monroy, Staff Writer

“I think it’s good that they’re preparing [us] for college, but they should also teach us life skills [such as] taxes and how to find jobs.” Kristin Demarquez, Junior.

“[By] using advisory as a time to talk about real world issues such as taxes and how to pay bills instead of talking about college.” Sandra Villasenor, Senior.

“I feel like nothing can prepare you for the real world, but speakers are usually pretty interesting. […] In engineering we had actual people from manufacturing companies come in to ‘teach’ us but they weren’t actually teachers….it seems more real [that way].” Bhumi Tandel, Senior. 

“Treat people like equals….Talk about real problems.” Devyn Chubon, Freshman.

“High school prepares you for college and college prepares you for the real world.” Jocelyn Franklin, Junior.

“The school puts too much emphasis on college applications but they barely touch on anything to do with job applications or how to use the tools we may have in the real world.” Mekye Stancill, Senior.

“By offering more resources to find jobs straight out of high school [and] to try and improve resumes […] they could try and integrate information about taxes and renting apartments and stuff in classes.” An Nguyen, Senior.