District OKs final renovation plans

School gets bulk of renovation funds

The finalized, approved construction plans from the board meeting.

Sydney Uyeda, Online Editor

Twenty-first century furniture, new scoreboards, and two-story, state-of-the art buildings: that’s what’s in store for Branham’s new campus, thanks to the AA Bond. The measure gave Branham $60 million out of the $275 million allocated to the district, for much-needed renovations and buildings.

“We haven’t been renovated in years so now we finally get the chance…,” said Principal Cheryl Lawton.

The plans detail a plethora of new ideas, including “21st century furniture.” This includes white board walls with interactive whiteboards, more portable furniture, and chairs not attached to the desks so students may get up and move. This is similar to what students can find in the new portable rooms. The point of the new furniture is for students to get more of a hands-on approach when it comes to their learning.

“The science rooms will have new things so they can conduct their experiments in the newer classrooms,” Lawton said.

The plans also include renovations to the sports facilities. The softball dugout is getting redone, along with its shed. The pool, which has already gone through some renovations, is expected to be replaced along with the equipment. All of the Branham scoreboards are to be replaced, and the press box is going to be redone with a better path of accessibility.

A concern for students was how up to code the safety systems were at Branham. Those will be getting replaced as well. A new fire alarm system will be installed, along with increased lighting around the campus and additional security cameras. An emergency notification system will also be placed on campus.

Along with new safety systems, Branham will be upgrading the PAC and the bathrooms around campus.

The two-story classroom buildings will replace the former math and science wings as well as the library. Those are set to be demolished next month.

According to Mrs. Lawton, the new construction will be two-story. Branham will be building up so they can maximize the little space they have for renovations; this will build up and create more space. These new two story buildings will be located where the library and old science rooms are currently.

Lawton also said that the two-story classrooms will most likely hold PLTW (Project Lead the Way) engineering and science labs.

According to PreFast, the company in charge of putting up the prefabricated buildings, the new Branham will also include better internet connections, projectors, Smart Boards, and more “data service points” for computers.

The construction is expected to be completed by 2019.