Successful invitational outing caps mixed week for cross country

Franco, Miller among top runners in crowded field

Senior Sarah MacGregor finished 12th out of 180 runners at Toro Park.

Aaron Deans, Staff writer

Sandy Alvares/Special to Bear Witness
Sophomore Evan Franco placed 8th out of 390 sophomore runners at Saturday’s race in Toro Park.
Branham’s cross country teams suffered a few losses at Thursday’s dual meets at Alum Rock against James Lick and Prospect, but came out strong during Saturday’s races in Salinas.

The varsity girls varsity beat James Lick 18-40 and lost to Prospect 24-32; varsity boys lost to James Lick 26-30 and Prospect 27-29. (Scores are based on how students finished against their competing schools. The lower score the better). With senior Sarah MacGregor out, it was up to junior Skyler Miller to pick up the slack. She finished second among all runners at the race, with a personal record of 19:16 in the 2.8-mile course.

Senior Matthew Le thought the meet went well.
“It was a good meet with lots of people there from various schools who were all worked up to run,” he said.

Sophomore Evan Franco finished first in the varsity boys race with a time of 15.33, which tied for his PR.

The team’s top runners competed Saturday in an invitational meet at Toro Park in Salinas, Calif., the site of the CCS meet in November. It was a chance for the team to familiarize themselves with the course.
With only 12 runners in a field of hundreds, Branham had a very successful showing. With Franco placing 8th out of 312 runners in the sophomore race, and MacGregor finishing 12th out of 180 in her senior race. Freshman varsity runner Robert Oryall finished 6th out of 412 runners in his race.

The team has two weeks off before they race against Pioneer and Independence at Montgomery Hill on Oct. 4.