Celebration over competition

43rd annual art show promises an amazing array of talent

Cadence Trenchard, News Editor

The 43rd Annual CUHSD Art Show will be hosted in Branham’s gym from June 2 to 4. Admission is free to the public and some of the featured art includes traditional 2D art, 3D design, and photography from students from Branham, Del Mar, Prospect, Boynton, Leigh and Westmont.

The host of the show rotates to a different school every year. Submitted art pieces (made of paint, graphite, paper, clay, wood, metal, and more) are judged by six Santa Clara County educators.

Art teacher Ms. Tina Prates is the coordinator for this years’ show and is in charge of award distribution and layout. Each school in the district will receive four awards, three of which are the merit awards (2D art, 3D design, and Photography). The most impressive piece from each school will be awarded the “Best in Show.”

According to Ms. Prates, the art show has always felt a bit unfair, since schools with more art students at higher art levels can’t be compared to schools with smaller art departments. To remedy this, she decided to let each school receive a “Best in Show.” “I tried to make it more of a celebration than a competition between schools,” she said.

Additionally, each school’s teachers award scholarship money to a few outstanding seniors. Four senior awards will be given to Branham students this year.

One of the hardest parts is choosing which pieces to display.

“I’d like to put them all up!” said Ms. Prates.

Another is the amount of physical labor required to carefully set up and take down all the art. Ms. Prates gives extra credit to art students that volunteer to help with security, setup, and takedown.

Ms. Eileen Bertron, who teaches 3D Design 1 and 2, said the hardest part is “boxing up and transporting three-dimensional, breakable projects.”

It usually takes her multiple trips to bring the pieces to the hosting school, so “it takes a load off”–literally–“when it’s at your own school.”

Senior Emilie Jenkins, an AP Art student, is excited to display her portfolio at the show because her artwork looks really nice together.

She has had multiple art pieces in the annual show since she was a freshman, and uses art as a “creative outlet.”

Emilie said that attending the show is a great experience for student artists, because “you may think you’re the best in the class, but then you see how talented other people are. It’s a humbling experience.”

Sophomore Reese Rosenberg is in Ms. Prates’ catch-all advanced class that consists of Art 2, 3, and AP students. Reese went to Leigh last year, and is excited to see what her former classmates have done this year in comparison to Branham and the other schools.

After discussing the meaning behind her poster, Reese said her least favorite part of the show is that many people don’t take enough time to appreciate the art and look at its meaning.

“Some parents take pictures of their kid’s work and just leave,” said Reese.

Whether or not you’re an artist, a student, a parent, or just an interested community member, the art show is worth checking out. “Just come and enjoy! It’s free. You’d really be impressed at the talent in high school,” said Ms. Berton. “There’s no reason not to go.”