Multiple concerts for growing band

Sunanda Kottayil, Opinion Editor

The Branham High School Royal Alliance Band played its last concerts on May 15th, 16th and 17th. The band was instructed and conducted by Ms. Diane Wyant.

Unlike the fall season which has a theme of Italian dinner, this concert took a different approach. Each of the three nights had a different section of the band perform. On the 15th, symphonic band performed, on the 16th, wind and percussion ensembles, and on the 17th concert band and jazz ensemble.

Senior Kelly Kagawa, who performed in symphonic band and wind ensemble and volunteered on the 16th, was happy with the decision to split the performances. Kelly stated, “There would have been no way for all of us to perform on one night. We were all given a chance to perform the music we worked so hard to learn.” Senior Maxwell Pursey, who performed in the same ensembles, agreed with Kelly, but noted the difficulties that the scheduling caused for his family. Maxwell stated, “I had family members who wanted to see me perform and it was hard to get them to come for multiple days. On top of that my family had other school concerts to attend that week so for them it was a week of concerts.”

The fact that the band had too many people to perform on one night shows how much the band program had grown. Senior Garin Ballard said, “Since my freshman year the band has exponentially grown to the point that we can all barely fit in [room 62], which shows how much our program has improved.” The band program has grown so much that they plan on expending their wind ensemble, which was originally a part of their second period band class, into its own class.

Confusion of getting family members to attend aside, the program kept up the band’s high standard. Hopefully the band program will continue to grow and share amazing music with our community.