PAL class new option for leadership

Taylor Doan, Staff writer

Prepare for next year to be filled with new events on campus, and a lot more peer-to-peer interaction with students who will be apart of next year’s brand new leadership program: Peer Assisted Leadership (PAL).

The process for getting involved in the student body has changed, splitting leadership candidates into ASB and PAL. Activities Director Ms. Shari Scott-Sawyer is credited to this new formation of the leadership class on campus, and she believes that it will help reach all interests of students on campus. She said, “My goal is to make sure everyone is able to participate, not just the kids who are already spirited and involved in school events.” Approximately 50 individuals are enrolled in the class.

Rather than being admitted into the ASB class, which organizes events such as rallies, dances, and spirit weeks, some students had been offered to join the new PAL class. Sophomore Leila Zonoobi, who will be apart of the program, said, “I’m really excited to be apart of this; I think the idea is great.” She had hoped to make it into the ASB class for her junior year, but she is not any less grateful for the opportunity to be apart of a group that will help students in many areas such as depression, peer conflict, and stress.

The program will enhance themes such as Cancer Awareness and Anti-Bullying to accompany spirit weeks already implemented by the ASB class. Winter Wishes will be organized by the PAL and leadership class. Leadership will take on the more traditional activities, such as homecoming and prom.