Volunteering for prom almost as fun as attending

Fitzgerald Vo/Bear Witness

Fitzgerald Vo/Bear Witness

Fitzgerald Vo/Bear Witness

By Clarabelle Walkup
Staff Writer

Prom is considered one of the most memorable moments in the high school years. The glamorous gowns, the suits, the venue, and the price.

Little is known about the process that makes it the perfect night. It takes a lot of money, leadership students, and volunteers to host this event

To begin, prom cost about $56,000 dollars this year, which includes the price for the venue, catering, table/chair rentals, and DJ.

Activities Director Shari Scott-Sawyer describes the elements that make the perfect night.

“The venue is very important because it also must be good for people who like doing other things than dancing,” she said. “The DJ is important, so they are in tune with your population and is able to keep things moving.”

During the event, upperclassmen Leadership students enjoy the night, while the work rested is in the hands of the underclassmen leadership students and volunteers.

All 30 volunteers, which included underclassmen Leadership students, arrived at the Tech Museum at 1:30 p.m., waiting for the museum to close. We were told the game plan of what we were going to do and where we were going to put things.

For the next three hours we waited in an alley next to the Tech waiting for further instructions. Most of us played heads up, card games, or went inside the museum to “check things out.”  However, it wasn’t until 4:30 p.m. we started to bring the tables, chairs and silverware down.

They were about 6 feet in diameter and very hard to maneuver. We brought them downstairs, with the help of an elevator and laid about 45 tables and 360 chairs. That took about 2 hours to get everything done.

At 6:30 p.m., Leadership students gathered above to work coat check and greet while other volunteers worked food. At 7 p.m., the start of prom, we realized that on our table assignment list it was 10 to a table and we set it up 8 to a table. Thankfully, despite the major mistake, it was resolved quickly.

At coat check, I put people’s belongings into a bag in alphabetical order. People continuously checked in and out. I didn’t get to eat until 9 p.m.

After everyone was done eating, we collected the plates and scraped off all the food. We had to clean things up in an hour because the table rental company was picking up the items at 10:00 pm. All hands were on deck, we stripped of every table clean, disassembled them, and rolled them to an elevator across the floor. The tricky part was that many guests didn’t use coat check, so they would leave, shoes, car keys, corsages and even wallets on the tables.

We tried our best to give the missing items to the correct person. In the end, everyone got their belongings.

Once all tables, chairs, plates were packed up, we went upstairs and stood by the chocolate fountain eating. Towards the end of prom, all leadership students were called back to coat check. It was very busy. Last names were shouted, and I tried my best to find them. The satisfaction of finding their bag among the hundreds that were laid out was like earning an A on a test you studied hard for.

After prom was over, we helped the DJ pack up all his speakers and decorations. The lights were turned on and there were flower petals all over the floor. Despite, all the hustling and issues, prom was a success. I feel like I almost had as much fun as the guests.