Come race to watch the “Old Lace”: Drama department to put on the first play of the year

This coming fall, Branham’s own students will be performing in the play,”Arsenic and Old Lace,” by Joseph Kesselring. The director and drama teacher at Branham, Ms. Christina Plank said, “The play is a dark romantic comedy that would make anyone appreciate their own family.”

The play is filled with dramatic irony, and is about two old women, Abby and Martha, who murder people with arsenic. Their nephew, Mortimer Brewster has just proposed to a beautiful lady, but soon after finds out what his aunts have been doing. He tries to keep all the information from the police and fiancee. Later he realizes that his brother, Jonathan has killed 12 people and Mortimer is more confused than ever and doesn’t know what to do.

Ms. Plank’s Tech Theater class have been preparing for the plays setup for the past six weeks, and her actors and actresses have been rehearsing everyday after school for two hours. Ms. Plank said that her favorite scene is when both Mortimer and Jonathan discover a dead body in the window seat of a car. Though she is excited for the play, she is worried about her cast memorizing their lines like any other director would be. There is no way she can help her cast memorize their lines, since it is all self practice.

In total there are around 30 students participating in the play who have been preparing and are excited to show off their hard work on November 2nd at 2:00 pm for $5, and on November 3rd and 4th at 7:00 pm for $10 with ASB/$12.00.