Cross Country

Will Suiter

Will Suiter

Branham’s cross country team ran their last league meet at Montgomery Hill last Thursday against Prospect and Pioneer High School, who are some of Branham’s tougher rivals according to Coach Fitzgerald Vo. Junior Matthew Le remembers running against these teams in the past with similar results. He says, “Prospect had a larger team than us, so they probably had a better
diversity of runners,” although he does point out that it got easier at the end due to the course being flat ground and downhill.

Despite the incredible hard work of all the teams, the only team to emerge victorious was the varsity girls, who defeated Pioneer 21-32 and Prospect 20-37. Junior Sarah MacGregor pulled ahead and finished the race in first with a time of 17:38 while sophomore Skylar Miller was the third runner to cross the line with a time of 18:32. Throughout the season, MacGregor and Miller continuously finished races in the same position. Frosh/Soph boys lost to Pioneer 15-44 and also lost to Prospect 20-35. The first Branham runner (sophomore Ben Shoemaker) from this team to
cross the line finished the race in 12th place with a time of 19:11, while the first runner from Pioneer finished with a time of 18:26 and came in third place.

Varsity Boys worked hard as well, but lost to Pioneer 21-37 and to Prospect 24-31. Junior Varsity girls, as well as both Varsity Reserves boys and girls teams, won by default since Pioneer and Prospect did not have complete teams in these categories. Regardless, all teams ran their very best in the last meet of the season and are preparing for their BVAL finals at Crystal Springs on Halloween.