Spirit and events held for cancer awareness

If you recall, Dig Pink week, which is Branham’s way of helping out those affected by cancer, happened earlier this month. The week consisted of unique dress up days, the Color Run, and the Dig
Pink Football game, where students released balloons, with the names of loved ones who have died from cancer or are currently fighting cancer, into the starry night sky. This year, Branham was also able to include a Dig Pink Volleyball game, which ended with a win against Evergreen Valley. Branham also has it’s annual Penny Wars, where students bring in pennies to their second period
classes in order to gain points. All of the money raised was donated to a cancer treatment and research center called Cancer CAREpoint.

Cancer CAREpoint is a non profit organization that was founded by Samaritan Medical Center CEO Dave Henderson. The organization is all about searching for better cancer treatment as well as the possibility of a cure.

Sheryl Brown, Director of Operations at Cancer CAREpoint, says that they have a lot to offer for people going through this rough time. “We provide non medical support to cancer survivors and families,” Brown says, “We have volunteers who are trained to help patients get wigs if they have lost their hair. The foundation also offers “social workers who are here to talk to [patients] about what options they have.” Cancer CAREpoint even has classes patients can take to help them cope with their struggle. “We have classes so patients can socialize with people going through the same thing, such as meditation and nutrition classes.”