The Student News Site of Branham High School

Bear Witness

Students support unisex bathrooms


Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






By Eli Sylvan
Staff Writer

Lincoln High School was one of the first high schools in the Bay Area to implement all-gender restrooms on their campus last April. This raises questions about whether other schools will follow suit.

Action on gender-neutral restrooms is a big step forward for the Bay Area LGBT community, especially in the midst of a North Carolina House Bill that “prohibits anti-discrimination protections for gay and transgender individuals.

Other schools in the Bay Area have no plans on making these changes immediately, according to the Del Mar ASB President David Bates.

“All the ASB presidents are freaking out about Homecoming,” so new restrooms are not currently a priority for the them, he said.

Not only does Homecoming take hours of planning and effort, but with gender-neutral and transgender rights becoming an issue about equity, the ASB is taking steps to accommodate those with specific labels. Currently, the Homecoming king and queen labels are being replaced with the gender-neutral term Homecoming Court.

Bates went on to say that CUHSD doesn’t have any plans on installing gender-neutral restrooms.

According to Principal Cheryl Lawton, gender-neutral bathrooms “[this is] something that we definitely need to do to meet the needs of our students.” She continued to say that money from the proposed CUHSD bond could be considered for gender-neutral restrooms. It is clear that the idea has administrative support, but more research needs to be done to see how students feel about the issue.

A recent poll at Branham High School shows that approximately 65 percent of the school is in favor of installing more gender-neutral restrooms, while the other 35 percent are against the idea.

One objection against this plan is the possibility that the restrooms will be abused by students.

They feel that a place as private as a restroom cannot be used a

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Summer Melt

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    A quirky, morbid family gets the spotlight in “Addams Family” musical

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Playing around at the faculty musical

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Students and teachers share traditions for Easter, secular and religious

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Staff Appreciation Week: Mr. Torres

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Robyn’s Speech

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    New rules steer teens toward safety

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    New secretary takes over front office

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    WHY THEY MARCHED

  • Students support unisex bathrooms

    Branham News

    Bond may aid in cafeteria renovation

The Student News Site of Branham High School
Students support unisex bathrooms